Americo Medicare Supplement Review
Fill out the form or call (614) 402-5160 to get quotes for an Americo Medicare Supplement and compare rates with other top rated companies
Americo Life, Inc. began over 100 years ago to provide life insurance and annuities to protect families across the nation. Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company (Americo) is one of the members of Americo Life, Inc., whose headquarters is in Kansas City, MO. The company has earned an “A” (Excellent) rating by A.M. Best, and the company’s outlook is stable. Americo Life Inc. is one of the largest, privately held, independent insurance groups in the United States. They have more than $6.6 billion in total assets.
AMERICO MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT PLANS
You can apply with Americo by either using a paper or online application.. You may receive a phone call if your application is not submitted during an Open Enrollment or Guaranteed Issue period. They will verify your answers and other information on your application.
Medicare Supplement plans available through Americo include A, F, G, and N. Plan F is only available for those who were eligible for Medicare before January 1, 2020. You can purchase a policy with them if you live in AL, AR, AZ, CO, DE, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WY, or WV. Additional states may be added in the future.
Most states offer a 10% household discount if you reside with 1-3 other adults age 60 or older who either have or are in the process of applying for Medicare Supplement coverage with Americo. They will waive the age requirement if you live with a legal spouse, including civil union and domestic partners. This discount is not available in IA, ID, NC, NJ, OH, or OK. Some states may vary their requirements for the discount. As is the case with most Medicare Supplement providers, Americo offers both tobacco and non-tobacco rates.
Qualifying for the Americo Medicare Supplement
The following is a brief description of conditions that will disqualify you but it’s not an an all-inclusive list. Remember that if you are in an Open Enrollment or Guarantee Issue period you don’t need to worry about passing the health questions. If you’re not, you’ll be declined if any of the health-related questions are answered “Yes.” You also need to meet the height and weight guidelines seen on the right.
Interested applicants who are currently bedridden, hospitalized, in a nursing home or assisted living facility, confined to a wheelchair or require the use of a motorized mobility aid, you will not be eligible for coverage. Those who have been hospitalized three or more times in the past two years will need to wait to apply to Americo. But if it has been more than two years, you can apply for Americo Medicare Supplement plan now.
If you are currently receiving home health care from a nurse, physical therapist, or aid, Americo is one of the few companies that may approve you. Home health care includes medical treatment, therapy or assistance with activities of daily living in your own home. The activities of daily living include: eating (feeding), dressing, bathing, toileting (getting on and off of a toilet), transferring (moving from one place to another), and continence (bowel or bladder control, colostomy care, or use of a catheter).
Conditions You Have Ever Been Diagnosed With, Treated, or Taken Medication For
If any of the conditions listed below apply to you, just call (614)402-5160 or fill in the form, and we’ll look for another company that you will qualify for.
- Chronic respiratory disorders including emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive lung disease (COLD), chronic asthma, chronic interstitial lung disease, chronic pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, sarcoidosis, bronchiectasis, and scleroderma
- Any cognitive disorder including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, senile dementia, mild cognitive impairment (MCI), delirium, and organic brain disorder
- Kidney diseases including chronic kidney disease, kidney failure, renal insufficiency, and kidney disease requiring dialysis
- Human papillomavirus (HIV), acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), and AIDS related complex (ARC)
- Systemic lupus, myasthenia gravis, multiple or lateral sclerosis, spinal stenosis, osteoporosis with fractures, cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, or organ transplant
- Diabetes requiring insulin intake >50 units/day
- Any amputation caused by disease
You’ll need to postpone applying for the Americo Medicare Supplement if you have been advised to have any treatment, diagnostic test, or surgery recommended by a medical professional that has not been completed. So if you are still waiting on results, we need to wait until you have them.
Declinable Conditions in the Past 5 Years: Initially Diagnosed, Treatment, or Taken Medication
Don’t be discouraged if you have had cancer, a tumor, lymphoma, melanoma or treatment for Alcoholism or drug abuse. Please call (614) 402-5160 so we can find a company that may accept you if it’s been more than 2 years. The following conditions will also lead to a decline:
Supplemental oxygen use
- Nebulizer use within the past 6 months
- Implantable cardiac defibrillator
- Continuous use of 2 or more inhalers or medications for Asthma
- Injections or infusions administered in a doctor’s office
Other Conditions that COULD Affect Your Approval
Don’t hesitate to call or fill out the form if you have a major health issue. Sometimes other providers would deny you coverage for, you may still be eligible for coverage under Americo’s policies. The condition generally needs to have been over 2 years ago and have no changes to medication within the past 12 months. Each condition has its own requirements, so one of our agents and you will go over the details before you apply for coverage. Some of these conditions are:
- angina, heart attacks; coronary, or carotid artery disease; coronary artery bypass surgery; angioplasty; peripheral vascular disease; congestive heart failure; enlarged heart; stroke; transient ischemic attacks (TIA); valvular heart disease; and heart rhythm disorders)
- Degenerative Bone Disease, Crippling/Disabling, or Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn’s Disease
- Mental or Nervous Disorders requiring medical care
- Diabetes with Diabetic Retinopathy or High Blood Pressure
We can help you apply and get the Best Quote for your coverage. Our agents will search an extensive database of companies to find the
best Medicare Supplement plan that works for you.