Pekin Life Insurance, based in rural Pekin, Illinois, has been going Beyond the Expected since 1921 to provide financial protection in a variety of forms (such as cars, homes, lives, and businesses) to policyholders in 24 states. Their Medicare Supplement, also known as Medigap, plans are only available in 18 states, for now, however, they are working on expanding. They have earned an A- Rating by AM Best for their financial security and strength, a status only a select few companies achieve.
Pekin Medicare Supplement Plan Choices
Plans A, F, G, and N are available in most states, but the only way you can get Plan F (or high-deductible F) is if you were eligible for Medicare Part A before January 1st, 2020. If you can answer “No” to specific health questions, then you may be able to pass underwriting. If you are in an Open Enrollment or Guaranteed Issue period, including ending your employer group insurance or COBRA, you can purchase a Medicare Supplement, or Medigap, policy without any health underwriting, and you don’t have to worry about passing the health questions.
Pekin Life Insurance uses an electronic application and processing system to speed up your application process. Pekin will call over the phone to verify the information on your application, and they anticipate a decision within minutes. If you are approved, you will gain coverage in 1-2 business days. They offer both tobacco and non-tobacco rates for Medicare Supplement, or Medigap, policies.
Additional Benefits with Pekin Medicare Supplements
Household discount: If you have lived with at least one, but no more than three, other adults for the past 12 months who are also covered by Pekin or are currently in the application process, you may be eligible for a 7% household discount.
30-Day free look: If you are not satisfied with your coverage, you can receive a full refund.
Silver and Fit Club: Similar to Silver Sneakers, Pekin’s Silver and Fit Club allows you to have a gym or fitness center membership without any additional costs. They cover most facilities and YMCA’s in their plan.
Applying with Pekin if You’re Not in an Open Enrollment or Guaranteed Issue Period
The simple diagnosis or use of a single declinable medication alone can disqualify you from being accepted by Medicare Supplement, or Medigap, company. However, Pekin may give you special consideration for certain medical conditions that other companies would not. This is not a guarantee that you would be accepted, but it’s something we can talk with you about and hopefully get you approved. If you have one of the following conditions, call (614) 402 – 5160 or fill out the form to the left to get one-on-one professional assistance in finding out if you are eligible for Medicare Supplement coverage with Pekin. If you are not eligible, we will help you find another company to accept you.
Please Note: This is not an all-inclusive list.
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart attack
- Cardiac angioplasty
- Bypass surgery
- Stent placement
- Aortic or cardiac aneurysm
- Peripheral artery disease
- Peripheral venous thrombotic disease
- Vascular angioplasty
- Carotid artery disease
- Any heart or heart valve disorder
- Heart rhythm disorder
- Pacemaker implantation
- Transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- Non-insulin diabetes
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Any internal cancer
- Multiple myeloma
Bone and Joint Conditions
- Degenerative bone disease
- Spinal stenosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Arthritis that restricts mobility
- Ever had or been advised to have a joint replacement
- Treated (or advised for treatment for) any mental or nervous disorder
- Drug abuse or alcoholism
- Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, or regional enteritis
Automatic Decline Conditions
It’s sad, but some medical conditions will lead to an automatic decline even if you have the condition well-controlled. If you have any of the conditions in this section, one of our agents can help you find another provider to accept you.
Brain, Muscle and Spinal Cord Disorders
Most cognitive disorders, or disorders that affect the brain and/or spinal cord, will disqualify you from coverage with Pekin Life Insurance. These include:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Organic brain syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- Huntington’s disease
- Muscular dystrophy
- Cerebral palsy
- Myasthenia gravis
- Diabetes requiring insulin
- Diabetes with complications (retinopathy, neuropathy, peripheral artery disease, peripheral venous thrombotic disease, stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA), any heart disorder, or any kidney disorder)
- Atrial fibrillation
- Congestive heart failure
- Implanted cardiac defibrillator
- Heart valve replacement
- Angina pectoris
- Hodgkin’s disease
- Stroke, TIA, or carotid artery disease (present or surgery) in the past two years
- Coronary bypass surgery, stent placement, or angioplasty in the past three years
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Any other chronic pulmonary or cardio-pulmonary disorder requiring oxygen
Kidney and Liver Conditions
- Chronic kidney disease
- Addison’s disease
- Kidney or renal failure
- Kidney disease requiring dialysis
- Chronic hepatitis
- Currently using a walker, multi-prong cane, wheelchair, or motorized mobility device
- Advised to have any treatment or surgery not yet performed
- Currently hospitalized, confined to a nursing home, assisted living facility, or any other institution or care center
- Currently need assistance or supervision to perform daily living activities such as walking, eating, cooking, personal hygiene (toileting and bathing included), dressing, housekeeping, or shopping
- Organ, tissue, or stem cell transplant recipient (excluding corneal) or had testing or been recommended for transplant
- HIV, AIDS, or ARC
- Hospitalized 3 or more times in the past two years
- Been advised to have cataract surgery in the next year
- Major depression or psychosis
- Cushing’s syndrome
- Arthritis with related fractures
- Paget’s disease
- Been hospitalized for anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, or drug abuse within the past two years
If you have been diagnosed with or treated for any of the listed conditions within the given time frame, fill out the form to the left to get one-on-one help finding a Medicare Supplement provider who will cover you.
Getting help finding out if you qualify and getting the Pekin Life Insurance Medicare Supplement is simple. Call (614) 402-5160 or fill out the form on your left.