Fill out the form or call (614) 402-5160 to get rates for a Sentinel Security Medicare Supplement
Sentinel Security Life Insurance Company began in 1948 when a small group of Utahan funeral directors noticed the need of insurance by many families to help pay for funeral costs. The original name of the company was Sentinel Mutual Insurance Company. In 1954, they became Sentinel Insurance Company but in 1957 they settled on Sentinel Security Life Insurance Company.
In 2009, Sentinel Life offered their first Medicare Supplement plan to assist in paying for health expenses that Medicare does not cover. Later, they began offering a handful of annuity products. Sentinel Life now has over $1.2 billion is total assets, with over $450 million in gross annuity premium and over $39 million in capital and surplus. As of October 2017, A.M. Best rated Sentinel Security Life Insurance Company as B++ (Good) with a stable outlook.
Sentinel Security Life Insurance Company offers Medicare Supplement plans A, F, G, and N in most states. They are available in: AZ, AR, CO, DE, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MS, MD, MT, NE, NV, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SD, TX, UT, WA, and WY, and it will likely be available soon in GA. If you are disabled and under age 65, you may not have the option to purchase a Medicare supplement plan. If you started Medicare before January 1, 2020, you can purchase a plan F.
Applying for Sentinel Medicare Supplement Plans
Sentinel Security Life Insurance Company uses a paper application for their Medicare Supplement plans and policies. Sentinel offers both tobacco and non-tobacco rates like the majority of other companies. Tobacco users normally get the tobacco rate, but there are exceptions. If you’re new to Medicare or in a Guaranteed Issue period, the majority of states allow the non-tobacco rates even if you smoke.
12% HOUSEHOLD DISCOUNT IN MOST STATES. Sentinel’s Medicare Supplement policies offers a Household Premium Discount if the applicant has one, two, or three other household residents of at least age 50. You be married or live with another person for the past 12 months. Civil union partnerships qualify too, but each state and company has different qualifications. Some companies only offer household discounts under certain plans, so please call (614) 402-5160 or fill out the form to find out if you qualify for this discount.
What You Need To Know About Certain Health Conditions
Sentinel Security Life Insurance Company has the general policy of denying coverage if any of the health-related questions are answered “Yes.” There are exceptions to this rule so call us to find out if your conditions are an issue. If you are taking prescription medications but receiving medical treatment for a long-standing condition but it’s controlled, you may be considered for coverage. A “controlled” health condition means there have been no changes in medication or treatment for a minimum of two years.
If you apply for one of these plans and are outside Sentinel’s height and weight guidelines, you will automatically be declined.
Below is a list of common conditions that probably cause you to be declined. If you see a condition that applies to you, call (614) 402-5160 and we’ll help determine if you should apply.
*This list is not all inclusive. Some applications will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Long-standing and well-controlled conditions may be accepted.*
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Chronic Hepatitis – B, C, D, Autoimmune, Active, and Steatohepatitis
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Other chronic pulmonary disorders – Asbestosis, bronchiectasis, chronic asthma, chronic bronchitis, chronic cardiopulmonary disease, chronic interstitial lung disease, chronic obstructive lung disease (COLD), chronic pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension, and sarcoidosis
- Chronic Kidney/Renal Disease – Chronic nephritis, glomerulonephritis, or protein the urine (proteinuria). Kidney/renal failure, end-stage renal disease (ESRD) or kidney disease requiring dialysis. This does NOT include kidney stones.
- Cognitive Disorders – Cerebrovascular disease with cognitive deficits, dissociative amnesia, Huntington’s disease, and post-concussion syndrome with problems as a result of the concussion.
- Diabetes – Requiring more than 50 units of insulin and a history of high blood pressure on more than two diabetes medications, kidney disease, heart or vascular disease, TIA, stroke, skin ulcers, or amputations
- Dementia – Includes delirium, organic brain disorders, and mild cognitive impairments
- Heart conditions- Heart attacks, Coronary, or Carotid Artery Disease, Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD), congestive heart failure, cardiomyopathy, stroke or a TIA (transient ischemic attack)
- Heart rhythm disorders – Atrial Fibrillation, Tachycardia and Atrial Flutter
- Internal cancers
- Malignant melanoma, but other forms of skin cancers will not cause you to be automatically declined.
- Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Lupus – Systemic
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Organ transplant recipients or advised to have an organ transplant
- Osteoporosis with fractures, degenerative bone disease including spinal stenosis, crippling/disabling, or joint replacement
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis – Treated with an injections, more than 25 mg Methotrexate per week, or a combination of Methotrexate and Prednisone
You will not qualify for a Sentinel Security Medicare Supplement if any of the following apply to you. Fill out the form or call us and we’ll help find a company that you may be accepted.
- Using oxygen (including a Bi-Pap machine but not a C-Pap)
- Prescription to use a nebulizer
- Cardiac defibrillator
- Asthma requiring use of 3+ medications including inhalers
- Getting injections in a doctor’s office. This includes infusions and injectable immunotherapy drugs but not the flu or pneumonia vaccine.
- Currently in a hospital, nursing home or assisted living facility, hospice, receiving home health care, or bedridden
- Current use of a wheelchair or use of a motorized device
- Advised to have surgery, medical tests, treatment, or therapy that has not already been completed
- Three or more times in the past two years
Our independent agents can help make the Sentinel Security Life Insurance Company’s Medicare Supplement application process simple. We make it easy while ensuring you get the best coverage possible; just call (614) 402-5160 or fill out the form to the left.