Compare rates for Great Southern Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Call (614) 402-5160 or submit your Customized Quote request
Great Southern Life Insurance Company History
Great Southern Life Insurance Company (Great Southern) a member of Americo Life, Inc., whose headquarters is in Kansas City, MO. Americo began over 100 years ago to provide life insurance and annuities to protect families across the nation. Americo Life, Inc. has earned an “A” (Excellent) rating by A.M. Best, and the company’s outlook is stable. As one of the largest, privately held, independent insurance groups in the United States, Americo Life, Inc. has more than $6.6 billion in total assets.
Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plans
Great Southern uses a paper application to maximize simplicity for applicants. For applications not submitted during Open Enrollment or for Guaranteed Issue coverage, Great Southern may call over the phone to verify the information on your application.
Medicare Supplement plans available through Great Southern Life include A, G, N, F, and HDF. In some cases, Great Southern offers plans B, C, D, HDG, K, L, M, and N. You can purchase a policy with them if you live in AL, AR, AZ, CO, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MS, MT, MO, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WI, WV, or WY. Additional states may be added in the future. Plan F is only available for those who were eligible for Medicare before January 1, 2020.
Most states offer a 10% household discount if you reside with 1-3 other adults age 60 or older who either have or are in the process of applying for Medicare Supplement coverage with Great Southern. They will waive the age requirement if you reside with a legal spouse, including civil union and domestic partners. This discount is not available in FL, ID, IL, ND, NJ, OH, or OK. Some states may vary their requirements for the discount. As is the case with most Medicare Supplement providers, Great Southern offers both tobacco and non-tobacco rates.
Qualifying for Great Southern Life Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plans
The following is a brief description of conditions and parameters used by Great Southern Life to determine if you disqualify. You’ll be declined if ANY of the health-related questions are answered “Yes”. It’s not an all-inclusive list and there are other reasons your could be declined. If you’re in an Open Enrollment or Guarantee Issue period, your health doesn’t matter. You don’t need meet the height and weight guidelines either. For those not in GI or OE, please contact us. We’ll find you a plan that’s more liberal concerning weight and health conditions.
Great Southern Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans may be a bit more lenient the most other companies. Most companies will look back 12 or 24 months for confinements and mobility aids. But not Great Southern. They only go back 6 months so this may be a great option for you especially if you were confined to a bed, hospitalized, in a nursing home or assisted living facility in the last 6 months. This is one reason Great Southern is one of the best Medigap companies. If you use a wheelchair or motorized device, we’ll likely need to find you another company if the need never ends.
Medicare recipients who get home health care or need assistance with activities of daily living (ADL’s) won’t qualify until the 6 months are over. Activities of daily living are: eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, or transferring, and continence. You won’t be eligible for coverage if you have been diagnosed with a Terminal Illness.
CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS
Let us know if you have been advised to have treatment, diagnostic testing (excluding HIV/AIDS), surgery, or therapy (including physical therapy) that is pending or incomplete. If you are still waiting on results, we need to wait until you have them. If your doctor advised you to have any surgery in the next 12 months, that counts too.
You need to postpone applying if you have been advised to have treatment, diagnostic testing (excluding HIV/AIDS), surgery, or therapy (including physical therapy) by a medical professional that has not been completed. If you are still waiting on results, we need to wait until you have them which includes a surgery in the next 12 months.
If you have Diabetes in combination with the following, you may not pass underwriting and we’ll look at another company for you.
Insulin over 50 units per day with coronary artery disease (CAD), neuropathy, amputation, peripheral artery disease, heart disorder or disease, stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA), kidney disease or insufficiency, CHF, vascular disease, heart valve disease, heart rhythm disturbances, or retinopathy; or with hypertension (high blood pressure) which has required hospitalization, more than 3 medications in the past year, or been diagnosed as not well controlled.
Can you get a Great Southern Medicare Supplement policy with Heart, Circulatory and other medical treatment?
Fill out the form or give us a call at (614) 402-5160 if in the past 2 years, you were diagnosed with or began treatment for Coronary Artery Disease (CAD), Cerebrovascular Disease (CVD), or Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD). We’ll help you get covered if you’ve had any of the following conditions in the last 2 years.
- Heart attack, stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- Bypass or stent replacement in any artery or the initial installation of a Pacemaker
- Initial diagnosis of atrial fibrillation
- Undergone Ablation procedure or heart valve surgery (for repair or replacement)
- Diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism, congestive heart failure, enlarged heart, or cardiomyopathy
- Cancer metastasis, brain tumor, lymphoma, or melanoma (excluding basal cell)
- Treatment for Alcoholism or drug abuse
- Any mental or nervous disorder requiring hospitalization
- Rheumatoid arthritis, crippling/disabling arthritis
- Joint replacements that you’re still recovering
Conditions that will cause a decline
- Supplemental oxygen use (excluding CPAP or Bi Pap for sleep apnea)
- Nebulizer use within the past 6 months
- Implantable cardiac defibrillator
- Asthma requiring continuous use of more than two medications, including inhalers .
- Injections or infusions that you have done in a doctor’s office (excluding B12 injections)
- Any chronic respiratory disorder including pulmonary hypertension, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive lung disease (COLD), chronic asthma, chronic interstitial lung disease, chronic pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, sarcoidosis, bronchiectasis, and scleroderma. This does not include common high blood pressure or seasonal asthma.
- Cognitive or memory disorders including: Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, senile dementia, mild cognitive impairment (MCI), delirium, and organic brain disorder.
- Kidney diseases including chronic kidney disease, kidney failure, renal insufficiency, and kidney disease requiring dialysis.
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), or AIDS related complex (ARC).
- Systemic lupus, myasthenia gravis, muscular dystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), multiple sclerosis, spinal stenosis, osteoporosis with related fractures, cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, or liver failure.
- Amputations caused by disease
We can help you apply and get the Best Quote for your coverage. Our agents will search an extensive database of companies to find the best Medicare Supplement plan that works for you.